Welsh sensation Rhod Gilbert has emerged in recent years as one of the UK’s most original comedic talents. He created the fictional Welsh village of Llanbobl, while a running gag in his shows has him standing in a service station at 2.40am protesting about an ad for an award-winning mince pie.
In the past 18 months he has performed twice on Live At The Apollo, headlined Michael Mcintyre’s Comedy Roadshow, hosted Never Mind The Buzzcocks and been on The Royal Variety Performance, as well as taking part in panel shows 8 out of 10 Cats and Mock The Week. Gilbert’s debut live DVD was the fastest selling debut stand-up DVD of 2009.
Here Is A Collection Of Quotes By Rhod
- In the Bible, God made it rain for 40 days and 40 nights. That’s a pretty good summer for Wales. That’s a hosepipe ban waiting to happen.
- I was eight before I realised you could take a kagoule off.
- (On the Edinburgh Festival) I must get some kind of masochistic pleasure out of it. But I have no idea why I go there. No idea at all.
- When I was in prison I played football for the stalkers. When one of us would go for the ball, we’d all go. There was no one looking for space.
- (On his experience in an anger management group) Imagine being in a room filled with losers.
- A spa hotel? It’s like a normal hotel, only in reception there’s a picture of a pebble.
- Last year I punched a shop-assistant over the duvet tog-rating system and went berserk over a mince pie. I am stung by accusations that I over-react.
- I asked the shop assistant what filling I should have in the duvet. She said: ‘Get down.’ So I hit the f***ing deck.
Here’s the Welsh wizard on top form performing in Montreal’s Just for Laughs:
Gilbert is gearing up to front a new Radio 2 show, and you can catch it on Saturday evenings starting this autumn. A new live DVD, his second, filmed at the Hammersmith Apollo, is available to pre-order. The comedian’s Edinburgh Festival shows will be followed by a tour of the UK. You can also catch him on BBC Radio Wales on Saturday mornings.